the design & drafting process
Each individual has specific needs for the space he or she lives in. 61custom works with each client to determine what is important to you, and to make sure our design meets your unique needs. A brief overview of the design process is outlined below:
1. Pre-Design Planning
- During the initial phase of the design process, 61custom will gather
information about you and your family, lifestyle, list of wants and needs,
and building site characteristics. Some of the talking points during this
- Required and Desired Features
- Lot Size, Location and Terrain
- Style of the Home
- Desired Size of the Home
- Number of Stories- Basement?
- Energy Efficiency/Green Features Desired
- Construction Style and Materials
- Special HOA Requirements
2. Preliminary Floorplan
- Once 61custom has an understanding of the scope of your project and how
to best meet your needs, a preliminary floorplan will be drafted.
If you already have a floorplan in mind or have purchased stock plans, we
will begin by addressing how the plans fit with your lot, any changes you
may want to make, and any changes 61custom may suggest to improve the plans
to better meet your individual needs based on your pre-design consultation.
Communication between you and your designer is crucial at this phase. Some of the information that will be addressed at this phase includes:
- CC&Rs, HOA Requirements
- Sun Exposure
- Lot Orientation
- Lot Dimensions
- Configuration of Spaces
- Traffic Flow
- Room Sizes
- Number of Desired Bedrooms/Baths
- Entertaining Style
- Formal Living Spaces vs. Greatroom Concept
- Special Requirements
- Preliminary Elevations
3. Final Draft- Floorplan and Elevations
- After obtaining feedback from you on the initial floorplan and elevations, a finished draft will be completed for your review. At this time, any last minute changes or additions can be made before the full set of plans is drafted. Many clients find a 3d model or virtual rendering helpful at this phase. By viewing the home or certain living areas in 3d, clients are able to visualize the finished product. Any desired design changes can be made to the plans now, eliminating costly construction changes later.
4. Construction Documents
- Once the floorplan and elevations are finalized, 61custom will draft a full set of building plans. The plan set will vary depending on any specific sheets requested by your contractor; plan requirements are different depending on the county/city your home will be located in. Depending on the size and style of your home as well as the location, structural engineering may be required at this point. 61custom recommends structural engineering on all plans, regardless of who designed them, size or location. Optional sheets 61custom can provide include landscape plans, cabinet layout/design, custom vanity and wet bar designs, specs/material suggestions on any special green design features, virtual renderings, and any special information required by your HOA. Once the construction documents are complete, your contractor will be able to obtain bids and submit the plans for permit or design review. More on House Plans >
5. Material Selection and Construction Consulting
- Both spec builders and owner-builders alike can benefit from 61custom's construction consulting services. Tailored to meet your individual needs, we can provide anything from assistance with finish material selection to on-site management and contractor referrals. 61custom is based in the greater Phoenix, AZ area.
View our Portfolio to see examples of our custom house plans, semi-custom home plans, 3D models and virtual renderings.